Monday, October 12, 2015

Drawing a Female at 3 Different Ages by Robert Marzullo

This was a fun video to create.  In this one I do my best to explain how to go from the younger girl on the left to the older woman on the right.  It really isn't the easiest thing to do.  ( At least it wasn't easy for me anyways. :) But I am happy to admit that.  I am actually pretty pleased to find out when I have a weakness in my art game.  Because once I find that weakness I strive to overcome it and become a better artist.  I once heard a saying that said, "Do not spend too much time working on your weaker points because you will end up with a bunch of strong weak points."  And although that sounds very intelligent, I don't feel it applies to art.  I may be wrong.  In fact it wouldn't be the first time.  But here are my reasons for what I believe.  I think that when you work past your hardships in art that it opens up your mind and allows you to walk through barriers.  You may draw amazing hair the very first time to tried. ( Not likely )  But say that you did, you will never strive to become better at that particular part of your art.  You will just think you are already the hair master!  Why spend any more time improving in that area?  But when you struggle with hair.  You fight day and night with your ability to see the errors in your work.  You stress over the thought of the way some others can draw perfect hair and yours resembles a birds nest.  And then finally one perfect moment happens and you draw awesome hair!  You will not only never forget the misery it took you to get there, it will also apply to other things that give you those same nightmares.  It seems like as soon as you figure out one hard thing about your art, a bunch of other things start to make sense.  I remember when I just could not draw a hand pointing towards camera but as soon as I figured that out, it applied to all types of other things pointing at camera.  Is is all about the struggle.  And overcoming that struggle will open up the mental barriers that allow you to draw whatever your imagination can come up with.  

Anyways, thanks for reading this and I hope this video helps you in some way.  Have fun with your art and enjoy the journey!

More on the way real soon!!

Oh yeah, here is the video........ :)


Robert A. Marzullo
Ram Studios Comics

No comments:

Post a Comment